For this week's blog, I will be talking about hip-hop and how it has become one of the most vital, and profitable, forces in popular culture. Rap music is now an international art form and is regularly heard in advertising and on radio and television. I will be looking specifically at the Beyonce- sorry taking a deeper look at the video. For the Beyonce "sorry" I would say that there is no role in this music video when you watch it without the sound but will sound I would say the men's role is the targeted audience. The role that the women have in this video is the role of dominant, as well as independent. In this video, the story about male and female sexuality is that the men are not needed and the female would be found without a male. The story about sexuality is that a female just needs to be able to seduce men because they know that their body alone will get a female what they want. What story (besides sexuality) does the visual music video tell? Another story this video tells besides sexuality is the story of women having a fun time just be the lack of better word I would say they show them all giving the impression they are all "bad bitches". I watch this video without sound and it was so interesting how the video story completely changes without sound. When I watched the video with sound I got the whole concept of the video the women walking through the hallways with to me the underlining meaning to that was they female walking away from the man and looking back at the camera was they looking back a the men basically saying it at it since this is the last time you will have me. when I watched it without the out it gave more of the story of girls being silly but at the same time all having the same mindset. I think that the target audience is 18 and up. I do think that adolescents watch this video and are influenced by this. what I think they learn from this video about men is that they are all dog's and that women are able to get a man to see what they will be missing out on by wear clothing that is revealing as well as by them shaking their ass to seduce men.
Hi Brianna, great post and comments. This video was a little difficult for me to take apart. Although, her intent is to display independence many of the stereotypical roles that Sut Jhally mentions are displayed in this video. Once again, great post and thank you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteI felt the same way about what adolescents would learn in the video I watched ("Swalla" by Jason Derulo). I think young girls will think that the only way to get a man's attention is to dance and dress provocatively.
ReplyDelete